Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Why?


This thought has been ringing through my mind often lately... Why do I do the things I do and not do the things I choose to not do? Yes, reread that sentence if you didn’t get it the first time. You so often hear of good Christian people "Falling away" from their faith and having no conviction about it. It is heart breaking and I ask myself why they would do such a thing. As I have observed I have realized just how many "Churched" teens grow up living under what I call their parents faith. They know what their parents believe and they do what they are expected to, but when that come to that time in life when they have to decide for themselves what they believe the real thing comes out. It is no longer good enough to know what mom or dad believes. You must know what you believe. I personally came to this time around the age of 15/16. I was going through a really rough time. I had made some mistakes and began to realize that I personally must know what I want for myself and what I believe is right or wrong. I had the ground morals down, but not the little things. This was when I began to stand strongly for purity. I remember looking up verses on it, reading books, seeking God, asking older ladies who I trusted, etc. I began to search for what I myself believed. My parents completely back up my decisions and standards although they did not set them for me. They would be perfectly fine with me kissing a guy before my wedding day although I choose not to. It does not just have to pertain to sex. Beliefs as far as drugs, alcohol, your friends, grades, the shows you watch, the websites you go to, the way you spend your time, the time you spend with God, where you go and when you go. These are things that if you have not already you will one day have to decide for yourself. When that time comes will you stand strong or will you crumble? If I’ve said this once I’ve said it a thousand times.... NOW IS THE TIME THAT YOU DETERMINE YOUR FUTURE! Yes, you can quote me... :) jk I'm serious about this. So many teenagers live a life of carelessness and because of it they suffer and regret it for the rest of their life. Do you want to be one of those people? I’m not saying you have to be a holy roller type of person. My plea is to simply know what you stand for and stand strongly on it.

JEN


2 comments:

Giann said...

thanks for the reminder!!

Honestly, I think I started when I was about 12/13ish... I realized that there was not point in having a boyfriend if you were going to break up with him at the end of the semester or school year....Right now, I'm learning which TV shows waste my time or use it wisely (i.e. the duggars or sweet home alabama).

Shelley said...

Good post Jen! I know what you mean, so many teens grow up in faith, but don't actually live it. I agree with you that the choices we are making now are what determines our future. Like you said, It's Time! :)