Friday, July 30, 2010

Are you offended?

Did the title catch you off guard? The statement I'm about to make may cause you to wonder what on earth I'm talking about even more.... You should be offended. You should be repulsed and it should without a doubt bother you. What am I talking about? The ways of this world.... more specifically, the sex scenes in movies between an unmarried couple, tv shows that glorify teens going behind their parents back, crude jokes that your friends tell, the lyrics that some of the most popular artist sing, or just the little things that are consistently put in front of us which do not line up with God's word, day after day, hour after hour, and moment after moment... Are you repulsed by these things? I'm not just talking about being annoyed by them sometimes. Want to know if you are repulsed by them? Do you laugh at the jokes? Do you just ignore the scenes and continue watching the movie? Do you continue listening to the songs just bc your like the "beat"? If you said yes to any of these you are giving in. Those are just some signs of sitting on the fence. Are there things that you don't even notice or in all honesty you may enjoy? What about that sex scene? Do you even notice it anymore? With so many showing it is easy to not even notice it.... what about that joke? Are you the first one to laugh at it? You see where I'm going with this. I may not have even listed the thing you struggle with, but you know how it also applies to you.

Girls, our world is consumed by sin.... it is everywhere we look, everything we hear, and seeing that we don't have a choice about living on this world we have to make choices. Now please understand that by no means am i saying that you should go through life mad at the world and offended by everything people say, but I am saying that you shouldn't just get use to sin. You shouldn't just overlook it bc youve seen it to much. Make sense? We minimize sin. Kinda like phone sex is alright bc at least they aren't really doing it! Is that true? No. I just laughed at the joke....at least I didn't tell it! Girls, I desire for you to be so in love with God and so consumed by Him that when sin pops up you will know immediately that it is wrong!

How can you do that? You have to immerse yourself in God's word! I've noticed that when i get out of Gods word my sin alarms aren't as alert.... Are your so into God's word that there is no question in your mind what is right and what is wrong? Here are some verses about being set apart from the world and knowing right from wrong!

Romans 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Matther7:17-18 Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.

Revelation 3:15-16 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

James 1:22-24 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like.

So, here is my answer as to how you can keep your eyes on Christ. Get into His word! How will you know whats right from wrong if you never know the truth? We have the world telling us lies constantly, but Gods word is the only truth we have. I love the word, "Immerse"! The webster dictionary describes it as, "to plunge into something that surrounds or covers". I want to be covered/surrounded in God's word! Do you? Threre is only one way to go about that.... read it! You can study, memorize, examine, and take to heart Gods word. Then the next time you watch a show and something happens that is agianst Gods word you will most likely not think that it is normal.

This is my hearts desire! Is it yours?

With love,
JEN

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Amen! I think your right Jen, we should be "immersed" in God's Word. It's sad to think that the constant immoral behavior we see EVERYWHERE is just the norm of today. How wrong is that???
Thanks so much for posting about this! It's something we really need to be aware of, and also to DO something about it.

Kyla Makay said...

YES! totally. It repulses me how teens are constantly bombarded with these messages! I agree with you completely what a great post! We need to keep our minds clean for God! :)

Love, Makay

Tessa Voccola said...

Thank you so much for writing this! I hate how this culture makes it "seem okay" by just saying well I'm not that bad or at least I didn't say it I only laughed. Thanks so much for taking a stand! Oh and thanks for the comment too! :)

Leah Marie said...

thanks for visiting my blog! your blog looks really neat. :]