Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Taylor's story!

Hey sisters! So, God layed on my heart a few weeks ago to ask different girls to share their story, views, and beliefs as far as dating! Taylor and I met at a summer missionary training two summers ago and have continued to grow as friends! She has an amazing love for the Lord and I definitely look up to her! My aim in getting different people to share their stories is to show you that you are not alone! There are many people (guys and girls!) seeking the face of God! So, I hope you enjoy her story as much as I did! :)


Hey!
Jennifer asked me if I would share my views and beliefs about purity with you all. So, for starters, I'll just go ahead and introduce myself. My name is Taylor. I am 18 years old and pursuing a degree in elementary education at a local college. I'm pretty ordinary. The only thing about me that never fails to astonish the 8 year old girls I work with is that I've never had, nor do I currently have, a boyfriend. And the reason is not that I wasn't allowed to date in high school or that I have to be 20 before I can date, but rather the fact that I am waiting. I am waiting until i meet the one guy that I believe God has in His will for me to spend my life with. And, as of now, I truly believe that I have yet to meet him.
However, I do not spend my time idly dreaming about every cute guy that walks past. I have a list of qualities that I have prayed about and that I am looking for in a guy. Firstly, he must be OBVIOUSLY passionate about serving and worshipping God. A lot of times I see girls who are really involved in service or worship, and next to them guys that are not. I want a guy who is not ashamed to stand for God. Secondly, he must love and enjoy being around kids. It seems to be that some guys think it's weak to be kind and play with kids. But Jesus Himself was kind to kids! And if a guy thinks that it's weak to be like Jesus, then he just ain't worth considering. And the list goes on but those are the 2 MAJOR, non-negotiable points.
One day, if it is in God's will for me, I would very much like to have a boyfriend, get married, and raise a family. If, or when, I do have a boyfriend, there will be certain standards that, with God's help, I will stick to. I want my first kiss to be on my wedding day. I don't judge people that think differently about this, I don't call them sinners, but this is what I feel God is calling me to. One of my reasons behind this comes from the wedding ceremony itself. What is the point of "You may kiss the bride" if you've already done so countless amounts of time? Also, a kiss is a VERY intimate thing. And what if, sad though it is, you and your boyfriend break up? The emotional pain of a break up is hard, and (although I pray I never am) if I am ever in that situation, I think I would find it a little easier knowing that I had kept myself completely pure. And then there's Song of Solomon, where repeatedly he says "do not arouse or awaken my love..." Now, I know that scores of people say that Solomon is talking about something a little more here, but I think that it applies to my point as ewll. Why even start? Why? I think that to wait and save yourself completely for the man you marrry on your wedding day is a more God-honoring choice. That is what He is calling me to.
So, I'm waiting, living a pure life before God. And you know what? I love it. I love being single. I love that I don't have to worry about making time for dates on top of going to school full time and working 15 hours a week. I love that I have free time to goof off with my sisters. I love that on Friday nights I can go to Bible Study. I love that God has yet to reveal a HUGE surprise to me.
My prayer is that you, too, will live a shameless life before God. That you will wait patiently on God and not settle for anything less than the amazing man that God has for you. And I pray that, while waiting on Him (and him, lol) you will discover the joys of being single.
Praying for ya!!
♥ Taylor

No comments: