Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Setting the Example

Okay, so this post isn't necessarily "purity" specific. But it's been on my mind a lot lately, especially this evening as my 8 year old cousin is spending the night with me. I want to talk about being an example for the younger generation, being someone they can be proud to know. 1 Timothy 4:12 is very near and dear to my heart. It says "Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity."

So what exactly does "being an example" entail? Well, it requires us to step it up. We can't be the lazy, slacking teenagers so often portrayed in the media. We have to work hard at school, at being friendly to our siblings, loving on our friends, and being the best we can possibly be. Needless to say, it's a lot of work. But the Jesus never told us life was going to be easy. He encouraged us to stand strong, to love one another, to shine for God in a dark and lonely world. The younger generation desperately needs to see this light. As I sit here, with my cousin reading over my shoulder, I ask myself, does she see Jesus in me? Do I set the best example I can for her? I pray for her, and her brothers, to grow to love God with an everlasting passion. I want for them to be strong in their faith as they grow up. But they need an example, they need someone to show them what a Godly young Christian looks like. Now, I'm not saying their parents aren't good examples, they are great! But sometimes it helps for kids to see someone a little closer to their age, or maybe a teenage friend who they look up to, living for God.

So my challenge to you today is simple. Look at the younger kids around you. They are all watching YOU. Are you someone they can look up to? Someone their parents would want them to be around? Simply put, are you trying to live like Christ?

Love, Kat

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good post! Definitely something that is overlooked yet sooo important.

She Will Move Mountains said...

Your post really made me think....and mainly because I've been feeling a pull to not only set an example of what walking with Christ looks like to my younger sister, but also that I should be praying for her daily, for her faith to strengthen. It's weird, but sometimes I think we forget about the little eyes and ears nearest to us...we forget that just because we live with them doesn't mean we should cease to be that Godly example and that prayer driving force that kneels on their behalf out of love. Thanks for posting.....really made me think! :)

Amber Noella said...

I know what you mean...my 11 year old cousin is always watching me. I want to set the example she needs. Thank you for this!

Meggie said...

Thanks for this, I have been thinking about it latelty I am so tied up with my friends salvation that I dont see my younger sisters that are just as lost.
Blessings,
Meggie